Friday, July 10, 2009

Wallpaper Removal

For quite sometime now I have been dreading removing some ugly wallpaper. I had heard how difficult it was to remove old wallpaper. Finally I took the plunge and started the dreaded project. I read that fabric softener and water would take off the wallpaper. Believe it or not, I bought 2 large bottles of fabric softener to do my one wall project. The recipe called for 1/3 cup of fabric softener and 2/3 cup of very hot water. Would you believe that I only had to make the mixture 2 times? I have enough fabric softener left to do many loads of clothes. All I had to do was wet a sponge with the softener/water mixture, wipe an area of the bottom layer of the wallpaper, and then use a paint scraper to easily remove the paper. Before I used the softener/water mixture my daughter and I removed the top layer by just peeling it off.

2 comments:

Rebekah Tastet said...

Thanks for the idea! I had to remove 5 rooms with wallpaper border when we bought our house and used the boughten remover.

American Homemaker said...

I had to remove a room full of wallpaper once. It was a nightmare :(